Which Way Did He Go, George?

This is for you Joe P.

It's becoming real now! Have my train tickets to Portland (via LA), started finding Warmshowers hosts and the preliminary route is on paper (digital, really). Most of the route I have no idea about, just wanted to scope out some scenery and conditions for a bike tour I might host next year in Washington. From there it flowed. Crazy that you ride nearly 2000 miles and you only hit 6 states (barely in OR too). Heck, you could hit 16 states in that on the East Coast, How the West was BIG! Anyway, the landscape is looking quite interesting even from Google maps. Now I've gotten all the advice to just follow Adventure Cycling routes and they are incredible with more information than your standard parenting post on Facebook. But that's not my thing. Prefer a journey into a more unknown. Discovery is far more fun than the standard "know what to expect". Hell, that's why I'm doing this. 
The other discovery is putting together the rig and equipment. Now discussing these things can be, oh so droll. Even I tend to just glance through much of the bike touring chatter of recommendations. There is so much opinion in the touring world, on the level of Brexit, that it might confuse you more than anything else. Though unlike Brexit, the level of civility is quite refreshing but very mundane, due to being corrupted by the likes of social media. More than anything else, I still cannot get over the level of support and guidance the bike touring family has for complete strangers. From websites and social media to providing shelter and aid. Hell, saw a post where a guy got stranded after Amtrak didn't unload his bike and someone offered to pick him up till they returned his bike. Lots of other stories like that. For reasons like this I'm taking on this quest, to find the good in people again and more often. Onto the bike and equipment. 
Well the bike is quite done yet. Earlier this summer I tried an overnight ride to see how well the Surly Cross Check might handle and how bad the weight would feel with legs of lead. Haven't put the miles in this year. Long story really short, it did less than admirable, well way less. Had an awful 'noodle' feeling, frame wobble, that might have been the weight being too high. I really believe it's the big ass frame for a 6' 6" (1.98 m) guy. Side note, going to start my transition to metric so I can relate to the rest of the world. Why didn't we go with the metric system? Oh right, we're better (not a chance, more like obstinate to a fault). Back to it. 
So I bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame to add more weight to the ride. Heck isn't that what touring is all about? Slowing you down enough to actually have a conversation with a turtle. That reminds of the olden days, walking to school, I was finding dirty magazines  along the road. Going to plead the 5th as to whether or not some made it into my backpack. And why the hell were there so many of those along roadsides? Were guys beating the bishop while driving then tossing the mag before getting home to the wife and kids? Weird crap you see and think while walking/riding. So back to the Long Haul Trucker, there is something funny there. So the frame came and I decided I needed to make it mine. Listen for the rattle can. Yes, I decided a 'fugly' bike was more my lack of style. 18 colors of various shapes and sizes. 
    

The other thing still to be added are decals. I am adding over 50 pictures, logos and quotes that have directed life or will direct my future. Slap those babies on then a clear coat and put it together. Then some assembly required. Here is the tech data on Mark's Fugly LHT:
  • Drivetrain: Shimano 105 Shifters, Sram Rival Cranks(180mm) 48/34, Dura Ace Front Derail., 105 Rear Derail., XT 11-36 cassette (yep, I got a Wolf Tooth Roadlink that allows me to use up to a 42t), XT Chain
  • Wheels: Mavic 917 rims, and Ultegra hubs (Front 32, Rear 36) Thanks to Jeremy Denham for the great build.
  • Other relavant stuff: Brooks B17 saddle, Avid Shorty Canti brakes, XTR pedals, Thompson seatpost
  • Hauling equipment: Sunlite rear rack modified, Ortlieb rear Classic Panniers, front Nitto SS rack, Salsa front Pannier racks, Ortlieb front City Panniers (small)
This set up reminds me of my first dog, Lady, and her first litter. More like Lady of the night. She had pups of every shape size and color (black, white and brown with spots). That's enough of that. I'll put pictures up when complete for you geeky type. On to the equipment.
So many tourers tend to go light or full out. I'm going middle of the road. I don't plan on using front panniers till I have days of food that has to be dragged along. Most likely after US and Europe. So here is what goes in the bags.
I LOVE GOOD FOOD and cooking. So many would question the cookware but I hope to meet folks on the trail and cook for them too. The Banks Fry Bake allows you to bake in a fire and it sure would be nice to have fresh biscuits. Oh, and spices are a must, dull food is not on my menu.
That's really enough of that. I'll have a second post about clothing and other equipment. Except one thing, A shout out to Voler for giving me some great product, especially their Trail Shorts. By far my favorite riding shorts. Been using them with my Brooks saddle and the butt is very happy.
 I leave Saturday, Aug 28th if I survive the prior night's party. The gang wants to send me off so Ritual Brewing in Redlands is going to be ROCKIN with GrooveSession and some great people. Hope to see many of you then or along the journey.

Sorry for the abrupt ending for this post but I just lost another friend who was killed by a driver and want to move onto that subject. Thanks for all the support as always.

Peace,
Mark "Getting Jittery" Friis




Comments

  1. Hey! I'm really happy and proud of you for doing this although I am gonna miss you like hell. Please come visit at least once before you leave if you can, and don't forget to call me if you ever get lonely and can't seem to fart your head out of your butt (lol). Good luck and make lots of memories and stories to tell! ~Squirt (PS I love you <3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you all can come down Saturday. I will try to up but you all are so busy. LOL. I LOVE YOU TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you all can come down Saturday. I will try to up but you all are so busy. LOL. I LOVE YOU TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! I will do my best with the puppy eyes and the butt kissing to get my parents to drive me down! ~Squirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I remember finding magazines like that along the roadside too. Perhaps older kids couldn't figure out how to get rid of them without their parents finding out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy crap you would see along roadside. I remember hubcaps being a big deal too.

      Delete
  6. I am glad that you know about cooking and getting provisions and are taking good cooking gear. So many times on our trip, I have wondered, 'what would my vegetarian friends find to eat out here?' There are some real food deserts out there! But you will do fine if you can shop and carry your own food. And you are a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you know about cooking and getting provisions and are taking good cooking gear. So many times on our trip, I have wondered, 'what would my vegetarian friends find to eat out here?' There are some real food deserts out there! But you will do fine if you can shop and carry your own food. And you are a great cook!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts