ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!

Basic elemental
Instinct to survive
Stirs the higher passions
Thrill to be alive
Alternating currents
In a tidewater surge
Rational resistance
To an unwise urge
Anything can happen
From the point of conception
To the moment of truth
At the point of surrender
To the burden of proof......
The point of the journey
Is not to arrive
Anything can happen.....
-RUSH, Prime Mover. Lyrics: Neil Peart
That's it! I have an urge I must purge. Lot of things led to this moment, emotions, circumstances and just plain luck (bad and good). A 29 hour train ride sure can turn into an emotional rollercoaster but a spectacular sunrise and a new landscape with winding rivers and life giving green foliage is a reminder of the what and why. The big but is the transitioning from a hurried and relevant life with purpose to one of solitude and chance. As stated in an earlier post, I'm not fond of being solo for too long. As of now not too many Warmshower's host are available, meaning lots of lonely nights in a tent. Hoping for company in campgrounds otherwise I'll be blowing some of the budget in watering holes just for some company. The bike and setup can be a conversation starter, so I have that. 

I hope Portland can lift me a little more. 
People asked "Why start in Portland?" Well I've been enamored with it from the first visit 2 years ago. I hit it off with Phil Ross of Metrofiets and always felt he is a spirited guy that gets me thinking about a different lifestyle. He keeps me appraised of happenings plus some great stories, like this one he just told me. The Dragonfly Tea Room- a gentleman converted an old Toyota truck into a giant dragonfly. In the bed sits a tearoom. He takes it to community events to share great drink and stories. This is the stuff that makes for better living in my opinion. The odd characters bring color and humor to a neighborhood.
Phil and I rode around Northwest collecting bucket bikes from customers for the annual Fresh Hop Century ( a bucket list event for sure) and delivering them to Velo Cult. It's a century ride to a hop farm about 50 miles out of Portland. Great time.
My biggest smile comes from the the intersection repairs. Giant intersection murals that add a sense of public space to an otherwise drab streetscape. There were many times during presentations I tried to get a public official to bite on one of these but no luck. Here is a challenge I have to those that continue to make the IE home. Get these installed and you will be my hero along with making a great contribution to positive change. Do it in the middle of the night if need be, but JUST DO IT.  the other aspect is great food and drink within minutes no matter what area you are in. I spent a couple  of days in the Alberta area and it would take months to enjoy all the tempting joints.. They even have a full on punk bar, food co-op and vegan/veggie places galore. Oh heaven. So come see what I see and a lot more. And maybe, just maybe, if many of you can believe it possible, you can start to consider changes for where you live. It all starts at home. Any thing can happen. 
  

 I don't think I have it right with my bike set up but that should work itself out on the road. People have gone out on tours far less prepared so I'm sure I can handle it. Tire selection is always the hardest. Much like Strada Rossa, you are always feeling like you have the wrong bike/tire. At least I'll be in a populated areas for the start of the tour. 
That's it for this edition. Till the next flurry of typing, enjoy
TRAVEL NOTES:
Saw this out the train window in Oregon City, an old mill that looks like a future Danny Macaskill video or a future hipster mall.


Comments

  1. The McMenamins will probably turn that mill into a hotel/brewery/gallery/restaurant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts