OLD DOG LEARNING AN OLD TRICK


Nothing comes without a price, especially when you go "all in". Enough euphemisms.

So the question, "What's wrong?"  Answer "ME".
 I decided to make a drastic change because living trapped in "Groundhog Day" didn't suit me. I love my wife, dogs, family and friends but change is a consistency I long for , which I know is an oxymoronic statement. Running a non profit, the Inland Empire Biking Alliance, was a second big factor in this decision. A non profit founded by passion is "no way to go through life son." A few people tried to warn me but that nagging little angel on my shoulder would counter it with "you have to be the change you want to see'.  AHHH! Now I'm thinking it was the devil, not an angel. All the pats on the back and 'your making a difference', led to a decline in physical health and financial well being. With two strikes it was inevitable that I would whiff the next issue, mental fatigue. (Allan Holdsworth just entered my mind). "How long can this go on?". About a year. I didn't realize the true cost of installing 'ghost bikes' and even a year talking about it with a professional wasn't helping. So down I went, down the tunnel of self doubt and worthlessness. Things got violent at times and the pats on the back became a push off a cliff. Days of laying in bed thinking, well maybe not thinking, more like feeling embarrassed. For failing to be a good husband and providing a wonderful woman a better life. For failing to inspire people to make a difference. By giving up a career which could have led to retiring next year.  By all measurements of modern society I was a loser.

There is always a danger when you start to use someone else's measuring tape to size up your own worth. A lot of the time, it ends poorly. Almost did again. What's the underlying emotion that drove me to self loathing, GUILT. It has always been a driving force in my life. Partly because I'm a bleeding heart and partly due to a prior life of loneliness that manifested in a need to be liked. I've dealt with the later better over the years and found comfort in being a misfit.  But the knowing the world can be a fucked place and thinking you can change it, is a dangerous cocktail. You live in two paradigms, one that the world is a good place and the other where people are disgustingly apathetic. And you reach out and grab the inspirational stories only to be taken by the gravitation of negativity. Social media has a way of exacerbating the extremes, probably why it effects me in both directions. All that said, I REALLY do believe the world is a better place now than it has ever been. It's me that isn't.

So how to deal with it? The only way I know how, 'ALL IN'. I know a great guy that has an unusual tendency to reference life through movies and TV.  I do it with music. Cue Billy Joel "I Go To Extremes". Though most folks will say they have no need for uncertainty, I tend to crave it, to an extent. I do suffer from lack of confidence but even with that I somehow manage to get myself in some uncomfortable situations and get through it, scratching my head too. But when I'm done, the light doesn't just dim, it goes out. Cue Jimmy Buffet "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane".

And there you have it. Mark being what he always has been, a crazy ass guy with no compass looking for nothing and trying to save the world while doing it. Head meet wall.

What's next? A trip like no other I've done. Well not since I moved to California. A very non lucid plan of riding my bike around the world. Have no idea of how long I might really do this but the idealistic side of me thinks 2 to 5 years. But reality will have a different outcome I'm sure. So it shall be.


NEXT ENTRY: THAT NOT SO LUCID PLAN

Comments

  1. Go for it!! Maybe some day I'll have the courage to follow. Look forward to hearing how the journey goes. I just finished my first experience bike touring. Only 4 days but I had a blast. 2-5 years sounds awesome!1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even better come along for part of it. Even for just a week. I'll be posting some preliminary routes soon.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. Let's see if I can keep it going

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Let's see if I can keep it going

      Delete
  3. Best of luck on your journey Mark. Stay safe and enjoy....life is too short not to make the most of it.
    George and Dawn Saunders

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best for safe travel, looking forward to following along here Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, all this is so deep! Didn't realize it was taking such a toil. I admire your drastic approach...I don't know if I would have the cajones to take such a trip or make such a change (at least not with a daughter in college at the moment).

    As I read your blog (all the posts), I could sense the quagmire that has been sucking you in. I know for me, what helps me is to keep sight of the bigger picture--why am I here? Why do I exist? What is my purpose in life? Maybe on this journey, you'll find that answer and come back renewed.

    I don't know if you have any religious affiliation. I'm SDA (IEBA meets at my church that I attend, in the "Fringe" room). For me, doing good, being healthy, taking care of the planet, caring for our fellowman, all of that is good...but for me, it's all part of a bigger picture because this world isn't all there is. As that song goes, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through." I believe we were all created for a purpose, we were put here on this planet for a reason. (No I don't believe in evolution or that we just happened by chance--that would blow my belief of being built for a purpose.) So not matter what happens to me in this life, I frame it in the bigger picture of why God put me here on this planet, in this community of people, in this network of people I come in contact with--on the trails, at work, on the pickleball court...all our connections for a reason.

    Anyway, that's what keeps me grounded and sane...a higher purpose and calling than just being a good person and promoting health. I hope you find that purpose in life while you're out there riding around the world.

    In the end, when all is said and done, we all turn back to dust. And then, if you believe in the afterlife or heaven, I believe we will all be held accountable for how we spent this life, this gift. What will I tell God when I meet Him? Will my review of my life--far from perfect--show that I did the best I could to fulfill His purpose for my life or did I do things for my own purpose? This is what keeps me going--continuing to learn what God's will for my life is, what He desires for me and each one of us. And based on that, I try my best to pattern my day-to-day life choices and behaviors, with God's help and guidance.

    It has nothing to do with formal religion, denominations, etc. so this could apply to anyone in any church. It comes back to the question:

    Why am I here?

    If you believe God created each of us for a reason, then it would be best to find out what that reason is because then, and only the, will you be totally congruent with your innate being, design, and function...and this will lead to ultimate peace and satisfaction.

    I look forward to following your journey...not just on your bike around the world, but your journey to answering that question:

    Why is Mark Friis here?

    Be safe and ride well!

    Ernie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts