VICISSITUDE IN LATTITUDES



Living with few strings affords one plenty of flexibility. On the flip side, having thoughts that one can simply have a plan that goes accordingly, can fly in contradiction to the rogue life. The idea of landing in Colorado and finding a job for a few months and put some coin in the pockets, didn't yield much of a result. Now that I've had a recess from  the touring schedule, I've decided to modify my regularly scheduled intentions. Back to the road with my load. On Jan. 28th, the Long Haul Trucker will have to bare the full weight of living hours along the American roadway.
The idea of rolling out in the middle of winter from Colorado could seem a fool-hearted verdict. Those who know me well, this isn't much of a shock. For me it will be a new challenge of surviving hours in the sometimes bitter cold and limited daylight. Having less time to ride means more time in the tent, which can lead to some stir crazed emotions. The first 10 days through farmland will have a curious effect. The times I've driven it induced a sudden case of narcolepsy. Lets hope the spinning wheels with a heavy dose of podcasts/music can offer an abatement to boredom. Otherwise, the pending outcome could lead to a medicated altered reality.
This leg is going to focus on visiting people and places that I've missed in previous travels. Highlights for the first half will be Wichita, Tulsa, Dallas, Austin and New Orleans. After that, some more time in the Deep South and then up to the Ohio Valley and then the East Coast. Daily maps till Austin are outlined and it should take about 18 riding days. The big challenge is going to be dealing with all the climate variations. Not taking any chances being cold, so a lot more cold gear added to the stock.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank Frank and Darrell for their incredible hospitality. To have a place near Denver to base camp from to get in a few rides and visits to friends, is above the call of generosity. I managed to see even some new parts of Colorado with a few trips in the local mountains. The day up Pike's Peak and a two day excursion to Edwards kept my head in the touring endeavor. And so it is, I keep the flame dimmed but not it's time to turn on the gas.
None of this could be realized if I didn't have an understanding wife. Things have been rough and at times you can lose your breath at the shear difficulty of resolving the conflicts that can arise from long periods of absence. But sometimes being away longer gives people a chance to grow and see more in life. If this trend can continue, and I'm optimistic it will, I can plan for a new future beyond touring. Currently looking into a career in the computer field which might start with learning Python. A few friends will be guiding me along the way and with their help a mobile career might be another incarnation of Mark Friis.
And so it goes...........

"Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes"  Jimmy Buffett
I took off for a weekend last month
Just to try and recall the whole year.
All of the faces and all of the places,
wonderin' where they all disappeared.
I didn't ponder the question too long;
I was hungry and went out for a bite.
Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum,
and we wound up drinkin' all night.

It's those changes in latitudes,
changes in attitudes nothing remains quite the same.
With all of our running and all of our cunning,
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.



CARE TO SEE WHAT I BRING ON A TOUR?


Comments

Popular Posts