BIKES and BEERING THERE: The New Belgium Model

  
 If baseball and apple pie are Americana, then bikes and beer are the American counter culture. For whatever reason,  you can't seem to pry the inherent bond between the hoppy libation and two wheeled vehicle that delivers many to local craft breweries. I'm for one all in favor since I'm a self proclaimed beer snob. Even the craft brew  movers and shakers have embraced the marriage with names and labels that further the linkage. With titles like Chainbreaker IPA from Deschutes to smaller local brews like Cigar City's Criterium Ale, there is no shortage of beer being pedaled to cyclists (For those of you interested in the 100's of labels and names with bikes and beer, HERE you go). Even many breweries feature hip bike racks and there are those that even have a bike share kiosk to up the ante. And it doesn't end there. From sponsorships to beer gardens, cycling events seem to always have it flowing like Adam Hart at a WC DH event.
   Breweries, and their liquid gold, have been a constant source for fundraising revenue. I know that personally as the bike advocacy I started relied on our local gold metal beer manufacturer, Ritual Brewery,  to support many of our events. It started to make me feel guilty at times to keep going to that trough. But they never batted an eye. But there is no company, not even a bike industry company, that comes remotely close to New Belgium Brewing. So after a visit to their facility in Fort Collins, I'm going to gush a little here about how New Belgium has made giving and bikes more than just a tax deductible, public relations gimmick but it's is a lifestyle bred within the company.
I'm no expert on what NBB donates or how the requirements work, what I do know is what I've witnessed in person and the stories I hear from other advocates. When I started planning my first leg of my first big bike tour (30 days, 1900 miles), the primary destination near the end was New Belgium. Besides it support for bike advocacy, I was fascinated by some of their business practices. I'm not talking distribution and marketing or anything you learn in business college courses. Well maybe the first one might be taught but I'm guessing not much, it's an employee owned business. After one year of employment, you are one of the owners. Also after one year, you are given a new bicycle. not a road or MTB but a cruiser, good for commuting. Heck yeah! Sustainability is also another cornerstone that I love to see companies embrace and there is no shortage at the brewery. Much like their compatriots Sierra Nevada and Hopworks Urban Brewery, NBB is making every effort to lower their carbon footprint and localize their purchases. Nice.
    What brought on this admiration was witnessing NBB support for what I and so many others believe is an important part that helps communities, bicycling. As I launched the fledgling bike advocacy in San Bernardino and Riverside counties, raising money was going to be an issue right from the start. One thing that has always been true in the bike advocacy world is cyclists rarely support organizations that are protecting their rights and their safety, so you are left begging local businesses and looking for grants. Fundraising is a drag and the long hours spent using volunteers for events makes you realize that the cost benefit is lower than a snake's belly. Without any fore thought the orgs first fundraiser woasn't even solicited  for. I received a call from the local New Belgium sales rep telling me that they wanted to promote the inaugural Pro Tour Challenge in CO and that they wanted to give proceeds to my org. Without any prior info, other than my background they donate $1 from every beer sold at two local restaurants during the viewing time of the event. So my admiration began with New Belgium.
   This wasn't to be the only time I benefited from NBB. They also helped pay for a conference I was a speaker for, numerous after parties and one special night in Las Vegas. For those of you familiar with the bike industry, in September is the industry mega show, Interbike.  It's were the retailers come to see the up and coming goods and services being hocked by companies. It also is a schmooze 
fest and at times a post year vacation from the bike shops to let loose. Advocacy has a very small seat at the table. Matter of fact, we are usually put to the outskirts of the convention hall as to not be much of a bother. There are speeches and thanks given to advocates and their importance but the overall vibe we get is more of a flea most of the time. I understand the importance of a company needs to sell. sell and sell more. But the hard thing sometimes is watching all the money go to sponsoring racers and R&D to create faster bikes for even more limited buyer. Advocates have shown over and over that their level of work has a greater impact on getting more people on bikes than racing ever has. But so it goes, and so goes the industry as it continues to struggle. Meanwhile, the shun continues as the big wig parties rarely have advocates in attendance. So three years ago, a last minute reluctant trip was made to Interbike. The normal stuff occurred but something else happened, something amazing. Some of the pro advocate bike companies (small ones) decided it was time to make a scene and on the last night of the convention had a bike party. This is how to make everyone feel welcomed to biking and as we gathered outside the Mandalay Bay, I could tell this was going to be better than any pseudo celebrity fest inside the hotel. And boy did it live up to it. The ride down the Strip to the old downtown accompanied by tall bikes, folding bikes and even a rolling disco machine with rad drivers garnishes discoball helmets, was a sight to be to be hold. Then if that wasn't enough, we gathered in the alley of a backroom bar where Boo Bicycles, Tern Bikes and Green Guru greeted us. And then as you entered the area you realize how special New Belgium was. They donated beer and lots more to give thanks to all the advocates that work so hard to make the world a beeter place. At that moment I realized I was with MY PEOPLE and a company that gives more than anyone could ever expect. There was little to be gained for NBB to get from giving so much but there talk the talk.
Living it up on Boo Bicylces Bus and New Belgium

   Now this is small rings compared to the annual event that goes on in cities around the US hosted by NBB, The Tour de Fat. A fun, festive environment hosted in about 10 cities yearly. It's basically a bike-beer circus and Vaudeville show that benefits local advocacy. I have no official numbers but have been told these events can raise around $50,000 which can make all the difference for a non profit. I know of no other company that does anything close to this for advocacy, not even in the bike industry.  


   This started off with and now will finish with my trip,sort of, ending at New Belgium. On Oct. 1st, I left Laramie, WY to make the trek south to Fort Collins. A typical headwind kept me company as it seemed to every time I headed south on this trip. For the most part I stayed on Hwy 287 till I was able to hit the bike trail a few miles out of town which leads you straight to the brewery. As I pulled in around 2pm, I got the standard picture in front of the sign signifying my arrival (see below). First thing I wanted to do as I made my way in was not look for a beer but sign up for the famous brewery tour of which I heard so much about. I pulled up to the kiosk and the lovely lady happened to noticed that I pulled up in a loaded bike and asked where I started and where I was heading. Told her 'Portland and HERE'.  Showed her the picture of me in front of the sign as she took my name and then she advised me to proceed inside and  show the bartender, which I did. Told him the same thing and he said "I'm buying you and beer". Well that wasn't all he did. After delivering a beer a bunch of samples me went to the back area, came out with a stool, climbed aboard and yelled for the full bars attention. "This guy over here just rode his bicycle 1800 miles form Portland to be here at New Belgium. Lets give him a hand!" And so it was that I wouldn't need to buy a beer that afternoon as lots of folks came up to chat before, during and after the tour.

   The tour was great with many samples and pretty much seeing and hearing the history of NBB. I'm not going to give you the play by play as I hope many of you get the opportunity to experience one of the best tours. I will say that I walked away thinking, 'How do I get a job here?' They hit on so many things that tug at my heart strings, bikes, community, sustainability and employee appreciation. Oh and FUN. A big shout out to everyone at the Brewery especially Jonathan Alonzo for making it a very special day for me and the best way to, sort of, put an explanation point of my first big bike tour.
   PEACE and BOTTOMS UP to New Belgium Brewery!



MORE PICTURES

Comments

  1. I may not share NBB's enthusiasm for beer (or alcohol in general), I love their passion for bicycles and their promotion of bicycle events (ala Tour de Fat).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bikes and beer? cuuuum on))) I liked this article. Will share this funny idea with my colleagues with whom we work over secure data room . They will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cross breed bikes happen to be for the handy bicycle proprietor. What is a half breed? Half and half lovers are scanning for lighter weight, more spry and faster bikes. Josh Costa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts